Urologists located in Jupiter, FL
Peyronie’s disease causes scar tissue to form in the penis, which can lead to painful erections, penis curvature, or erectile dysfunction. For an expert diagnosis and treatment, visit the board-certified providers at Oceanside Urology LLC. Serving men in Jupiter, Florida, the practice offers compassionate, patient-driven care. To book a consultation, call the office or schedule online using the one-click appointment system.
Peyronie's Disease Q & A
What is Peyronie’s disease?
Peyronie’s disease causes scar tissue to grow in the membranes of the penis, usually at the top or the bottom. As this scar tissue, or plaque, continues to grow, the penis begins to curve.
This can lead to painful erections or other unpleasant symptoms that significantly affect your quality of life. Men with Peyronie’s disease may also have erectile dysfunction.
Sometimes Peyronie’s disease goes away on its own, but for many men, it gets worse with time.
Who is at risk for Peyronie’s disease?
If you’ve sustained an injury to your penis, you might have a higher risk of Peyronie’s disease.
With tissue damage, blood vessels rupture and swelling occur. This blocks the normal blood flow through the penis, which can lead to the build-up of immune system cells. Prodigious immune cells result in the release of substances that form scar tissue.
Peyronie’s disease might also develop if you have an autoimmune condition that affects connective tissue.
You’re also more likely to develop Peyronie’s disease if you have a family history of the condition or if you’re over the age of 55.
What are the symptoms of Peyronie’s disease?
Early signs of Peyronie’s disease include inflammation and swelling in the penis. Your symptoms might come on suddenly or appear gradually, and tend to include:
- Hard lumps of scar tissue that can be felt under the skin of the penis
- Curvature or bending of the penis
- Problems with getting or maintaining an erection
- Painful erections
- Shortening of the penis
How is Peyronie’s disease treated?
Oceanside Urology LLC has various treatment options for Peyronie’s disease. As an expert in this condition, the doctor starts with a comprehensive medical evaluation and a discussion of your symptoms. Common treatments for the condition include:
- Medication: Several oral medications are helpful in reducing scar tissue, minimizing curvature, and relieving pain. The doctor might also recommend injections that achieve these same goals.
- Surgery: He can perform different operations to address Peyronie’s disease. These methods may aim to straighten the penis, remove scar tissue, or add implants if you also have erectile dysfunction. Generally, surgery isn’t recommended unless you’ve had Peyronie’s disease for at least a year and your penis curvature has stabilized and not worsened for at least six months.
With the right treatment methods, it’s possible to recover and regain normal, healthy sexual function. To learn more about Peyronie’s disease treatment, call Oceanside Urology LLC or book a consultation online now.